Monday, December 18, 2006

Rejuvenated and Looking Forward To Some...


Well apologies for the blogging sabbatical. As you may notice, my inclination these past weeks and months have been in the form of photography and art. So engrosed I was, blog life was shut out temporarily... Anyhow, I'm back. So here goes: finally, I got a DSLR after swearing by never to own one; actually pretty pleased with the built and image quality. I somehow feel that digital SLR cameras have come to a new level of maturity since the last few years, hence the feet dipping... This time around I got the Canon EOS 5D body; a full frame 35mm equivalent CMOS sensor DSLR with a 24-70 f/2.8 USM L lens coming with it. It has 12.8 Mpixels on it so that would last me at least a couple of years without having to upgrade. I find that while this combo is well built (like a tank), it's weight really does, kills! It's not a real comfort walking around the streets lugging around a 2kg camera system for the whole day.... Those were the day of ol' rangefinders... Slowly I began to miss my Leica M system, a well heralded system which is compact, handy, and produces envious images even among DSLR kakis. Coming to my senses however, I realise that these are two very different beasts designed for really different situations of use. You don't drive your nice posh Mercedes (if you have) to work everyday do you? So, I'll continue to use my M6 on lazy vacations where I want to travel light and don't mind or have patience not to be reviewing shots in between... Or, when I feel I need the fast nature of the Leica lenses in low light conditions or where flash work is prohibitted. OTOH, the DSLR is really nice for safaris, bird watching or simply papparazi fests! He He... That I think I'll leave it to the beautifully made Canon L lenses to provide snazzy and cheeky photos... Keep you updated when I get back from a short stint to London's Kensington High Street next week. Cherrio!

No comments: