Friday, August 18, 2006

Fever!



I am currently having numerous urges or fevers to upgrade my current power amp to Naim NAP 135 olive monoblocks. Why? To attain Naim nirvana? Perhaps... Having tried out a chrome bumper pair 135 which belonged to an expatriate friend not too long ago, I was pretty impressed with its power and musical delivery while keeping intact the perennial signature Naim sound: the foot tapping department. I feel this amp will be able to complete the olive package I blissfully own now and more...
These top of the line power amps never lost it's character in the presentation and I was also rewarded with lower and more controlled bass and a generally weightier listen all over the frequency spectrum compared to my current NAP 180, which was expected. So, how else could I describe my tonal craving?
I've gotta credit Naim for being able to invent such an amp with small size to high power ratio. A matter of fact this applies to most of their products as well. When I look at those big Krells and other monster American power amps, I begin to appreciate Naim's superior know-how over other makers. Highly efficient designs is what I would label them... precisely.
This will also be the ultimate power amp for me as equiped with 500VA of transient power, it would definitely drive the most difficult of loads out there. Not that I intend to feed them with Extremas or Genesis speakers (I'm sure it'll drive them well), but they shall remain unsurpassed for some time. Until then you may ask what would I look for as replacements? Another pair damn it! That's what monoblocks are for, use 4 for 2x2 speakers with an active 2-4 SNAXO crossover and you get even closer to Naim nirvana... Too much jargons... really...I should stop... cheerio!

No comments: