Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Well Well Well...











What have we here today... my my my... a beautiful 1966 Fender Stratocaster in what seems to be a faded 3 tone sunburst finish... I can't express my happiness more, not because it's my first Stratocaster or anything like that, but more for the fact that I got this beauty locally, yes you heard me right; IN the heart of KL!!! That's such important progress for a vintage guitar hunter like me. For years, I've not seen a Strat of this vintage surface up in the Klang Valley used market, and perhaps in many other parts of Malaysia as well, I'm glad though, that this is found, it indeed gives hope to me and others similar in nature for the quest for more nice vintage American guitars in this part of the world... Show me the Gibbys and the Marties mates!!!

Tonally, this is a monster SRV replicator... It's instant Stevie from the moment you plug into a Fender tube amp... Add in the TS-9, you get wailing and dirty drive from the setup... Also briefly tried it out wired in stereo with a Boss DM-3 analog delay... sounds identical to Andy Summers for a while there...I'm lost for words for the moment, but will write somemore once I recover from this euphoria I'm going through now, still (it's 12:26am)... Cheers, T

Some updates:

Managed to work a bit on the original finish last night... I successfully removed what seemed to be like shoe polish used to camouflage dings on the front and rear of the body. They were stubborn, took me like couple of hours to gradually remove them... The nitro coat on this Strat is so thin it makes you wonder sometimes if there's a layer of clear underneath it... I'll post more photos to prove this... shown above now... :-)




8 comments:

Shahir said...

whoaa..cool...congrats on the buy mate..I'm really sure that you are enjoying the moment right now..maybe sometimes later can come over and droolllll..... ekeke :-))

Terence said...

jag: you're always welcome to play with my vintage gears...anytime man..

Shahir said...

Terence, thanks man for the offer..looking forward for it..

Terence said...

anytime! :-)

Anonymous said...

how on earth did u get a hold of that man..? closest thing to a vintage, (well.. aged rather) guitar i've seen around kl was a late 80s washburn lyon at cash converter!

:)

Terence said...

hey asrif... good to hear from you.. oh yeah read about your experience at CC on the forum pages... nice...

ok, let's see: got it off this middle aged gentlemen who plays the good ol' shadows and ventures tunes... he decided he didn't need that anymore so i offered to buy it. the rest.. you know..

so, how's the band coming along? t

Asrif Yusoff said...

the drummer is back in the states to pursue his graduate studies man. i'm currently scouting for another.. found one who's the same age as my dad. thus i'm really hoping this will work.

been so long since i last jammed man argh.

Terence said...

oh well... a fellow forumer PMed last week and offered to play bass in my so called '3 piece' wannabe Cream tribute band... So, that makes us equal, both looking for a drummer :-) take it easy and may the BLUES be with you...