Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Chicago Blues Vibes!

The 11 days hiatus I have from the festive season is really rewarding me with some time to 'woodshed'; a nonchalantly used term to mean time for a guitarist to work his chops listening to records / music of his heroes.


I recently bought a Clapton dvd & cd titled 'Sessions for Robert J' which comprise of footages and studio recording sessions of EC doing the delta blues and Chicago thingie, all in tribute to the great Robert Johnson of Mississippi. Clapton's masterful playing is polished too, not much mistakes, just a minor cock-up at the intro of 'They're Red Hot' using a very fine 1955 Gibson L5 CES in blonde. Other than that, it's pretty darn hard to see the 61 year old guru make the slightest error in such spontaneous situations... What an outstanding musician!!!

I always drool over those nice black Alnico & P90 pickups on the L5 which are kind of rare today. I wish Gibson make more reissues of those; to satisfy Clapton nuts like myself the least. Furthermore, not everyone can afford a vintage L5 CES nowadays...

I've also been trying to form my own 3 piece band, preferring to focus on tunes from the famous 3 pieces like the Cream, TJHE (Jimi Hendrix Experience), and etc. And, I've also been having sleepless nights bidding on eBay for stuffs like the Ibanez TS9 and the Boss DS1 guitar effect pedals, all made in Japan and now considered extremely popular collectibles.
Keep you guys posted again on what will be accomplished before the new office day starts... I'm really dreading that as we speak... Cheers,

Photo: Gibson ES-335 'dot' '95 and Fender Pro Reverb '72 really producing some nice Claptonesque tones ala 'From The Cradle' album.


12 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeah, u looked like panda now. hahaha..

Terence said...

haw haw haw dd

Leishia said...

u really mean ur business in this whole guitar cum camera cum hifi cum whateverelse huh.

keep it going big guy and do continue to enlighten us.

Anonymous said...

yes, i am serious about it. always have, always will, in whatever i profess. we may be performing at the laundry bar soon. come check us out. i'll be doing vocal duties and lead guitar. cheers, t

Leishia said...

ur serious? cool. all the best.

give us the details? thanks!

Terence said...

Again, yes we (the band) are serious... Will let you know on the time and date of the performance. Best, T

Asrif Yusoff said...

sessions for robert j... sweet2 album man...

perhaps my 3rd fav EC (post cream) work after derek's layla and cradle

the rj sessions had so many good stuff i dont know which one is my fav. but milkcow's calf has now become my band's regular practice tune. :)

individually tho, i'm trying hard to nail hellhound. and it's killin' me... :o

Terence said...

hi Asrif,

'kind hearted woman' and 'sweet home chicago' are my favourites from this album. I kinda dig also 'me and the devil blues' as well as 'terraplane blues'.

Cheers,

Asrif Yusoff said...

ha yeah me and the devil's pretty tight too.

"gonna beat ma woman, til i get satisfied..."

contrary to popular belief of rj endorsing domestic violence, he was referring to his guitar :D

anyway u mightve come across these two sites but in case you havent...

ec's blog:

http://blog.honeyee.com/eric/

the best damn ec page on the net:

http://12bar.de

Terence said...

cool. thanks.

PaulOS said...

Soon Mr Terence Clapton.... heh heh.. Soon.. we'll get the 3 piece together..
Ginger Baker in the making.. :P

PaulOS said...

Opppss.. I meant Jack Bruce.. malu-malu.. hahahha